Fun Cookies Facts!
1) The chocolate chip cookie is the official USA state cookie of both Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.
2) The chocolate chip cookie was invented by Ruth Graves Wakefield in 1930 at the Toll House Inn Restaurant in Massachusetts. One of her favorite recipes was for Butter Drop Do cookies. The recipe called for the use of baker’s chocolate and one day Ruth found herself without the needed ingredient. She substituted a semi-sweet chocolate bar cut up into bits. However, unlike the baker’s chocolate the chopped up chocolate bar did not melt completely, the small pieces only softened, thus creating the first known chocolate chip cookie.
3) Americans consume over 2 billion cookies a year, or 300 cookies for each person annually.
4) The Chocolate Chip is the most popular type of home-baked cookie.
5) Chocolate Chip cookies are Cookie Monster’s favorite. His birthday is November 2nd and his original name was Sid on Sesame Street.
6) America has designated April 30th as National Oatmeal Cookie Day!
7) The worlds biggest cookie on record was created by the Immaculate Baking Company in 2003. It measured over 100 feet wide and weighed over 40,000 pounds! Now that’s a big cookie! What is more amazing is the way they cooked this monstrosity! The process was delayed by a huge storm but was completely cooked in about 12 hours! (source – www.immaculatebaking.com/goodies/the-worlds-biggest-cookie/)
8) Early American tinsmiths began making cookie cutters by hand back in the 1700s. Did you know cookie cutters were introduced to America by the Dutch and the German?
9) American cookie jars evolved from British biscuit jars and first appeared on the scene during the Depression in the 1930s when housewives began making more cookies at home, rather than buying them at the bakery, and needed containers for them.
10) Flavor up your chocolate chip cookies by letting the prepared dough sit in the refrigerator for 24 to 36 hours before baking. This is one of our secrets to our great tasting cookies!